We were hoping that by this time our “addition” would be well on its way. It’s not. As a matter of fact, it’s so far not that it hasn’t even started. In a previous post I wrote about how naive we were about the process of drawing up our own plans, and about how expensive it would be to build! (Read about it here.) We knew, once we got back to our planning, everything would move a little slower than we wanted. But not this slow!
As I wrote in that previous post, we abandoned our house plans that were years (and years) in the making, and we decided (and believe me, I really had to come to grips with this) to ADD on to our little Katrina cottage. (a/k/a the Crab Shack.) Most of the email I get is about the Katrina cottage. People just seem to love it, and we do too. However, as I’ve told everyone who has written with questions about it, it is a little small for living in full-time. For us, it was going to be a guest cottage, but now, since our big, beautiful stand alone house was too expensive, we decided to use the Crab Shack and weave it into our plans. (yes, I know…..you’re aghast.) But, I’m getting ahead of myself.
Things had to be done before we could even think about building anything anywhere. First, of course, we had to get new plans drawn up. We weren’t ready back in May to start all over talking “plans” again, so we waited a month or so. But then, as you could imagine, we had to wait till the house “designer” was available, and that took a month and a half. Then the process of creating this completely new structure and adding it to the Crab Shack, well, all that took another month or two. We actually thought we’d be able to start the project in maybe November or December – the weather here in Maryland is still okay, but no. There was still stuff to do.
We had the old house to knock down. It looked pretty nice from the outside, but the inside was completely gutted. It was ruined by a storm and burst pipes by the previous owner and was left to rot. We knew we’d have to take it down when we bought the property, and we waited all these years until we were ready to build because down here, if you build – where you are “taking away” land you must plant native plants to replace that land. So if we kept the house, we would only have to make up the difference between the square footage of the old house and the new house with plantings. In this case, it was equal, which worked out for us! (Yay, something worked out!)
Waiting for Kyle to be able to knock down the house took quite awhile. It rained so much in the fall, and then Kyle went on vacation. The weather was a factor, and believe it or not, so were the tides!
Then the Bocce court had to be moved. That’s not something you hear everyday. But we had built a Bocce court to the side of the Crab Shack, and now, the new house was going to be added on over there.
Okay, on to the next thing. See that green box near the Bocce area? That’s our electric. We have all our electric underground (which is really, really nice!) but that box is also now in the way. So when we first bought the place, we paid to have it moved there out of our way. And now we had to pay to have it moved again! But then the tides came!
So we had to wait. Till the electric company could come to move the box, and our electricians could come to help coordinate with the electricity from the house, and for the HVAC system to be moved from one side of the Crab Shack to the other. Wait, wait, wait.
So everything is ready for the next step, the actual START of the project. The mason has to come to stake out the building, which then has to be inspected. After that begins the excavation! But first the ground was too wet, then it was too cold, and then too windy. It’s always something. Next week will begin the 4th week with nothing going on.
Hopefully next time I’ll have some progress to report. For now, I’m researching appliances and flooring. Get your suggestions ready. I’ll need advice!